Sunday, June 05, 2005

baby got back

here's something ironic, possibly in an alanis morisette kind of way.

i've been doing a lot of shows lately - a few people have been warning me that maybe it's too much, and that i should take it easy. me being me, and me realizing that is my sole source of income, i stuck with all the shows i was scheduled for. lo and behold, friday, at a csz4kids show in the daytime... crack-o! something gave in my back after i had flung a few kids around onstage.

yikes.
so, after that - i had five scheduled shows left in the weekend. what a dumbass. i got out of three of them, leaving only the csz 8pm, and my show at io tonight. it was tough stuff, getting through these shows that remained, but i'm glad i got out of the other ones. csz was fine, small crowd, something that all theatres deal with when the nice weather rolls around each season. not to mention that the air conditioning at io broke tonight, and holy balls, it was all you could do to think about anything on stage to say under the oppressive heat blanket. that makes for smart improv, y'all!

now, onto the injury: your opinion is needed. what do i have?
the symptoms = lower back pain, didn't feel it happen - felt it post-throw arounds, when i went to sit down and relax after the show it hurt suddenly. i can walk, but when i walk, my legs feel like they are on auto-pilot, like at any time they could buckle (but they haven't yet). just wobbly. dig? and, there is a lot of tightness and pain. that's why i'm on mescaline and crank! (jokes.)

well, the high point of all this - since i wasn't feeling great, my busiest time became a much more quiet one. my sunday, for the most part pre- and post-show, was spent resting - reading books and magazines, listening to music, watching people on the wrigleyville streets down below. even now, after my show, i'm typing on my laptop in bed, with candles lit and the window open. there's a street fair on sheffield about a block down, the first one to kick off the much loved street fair season in chicago. the summertime payoff here is amazing - after bitter, windy, white winters, the best of chicago is left for us in these months. it's wonderful.

happy broken sunday, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter
« chicago blogs »
<-- ? In MY Opinion # -->